Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Miller's Favorite Meat Loaf


I got this recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (see below), but I did make some minor adjustments that allowed it to pass the doopie test. If you want to do it like mine you MUST follow my rules!
Enjoy!


Ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream
(original recipe called for 3/4 cup milk, but why use milk when you can use cream, right? And 1/2 cup was all I had left, thus my version)
2/3 cup Progresso Garlic & Herb Bread Crumbs (again, you must use this kind or I can not vouch for the final product!) See the picture below.
1/2 Tbs. onion powder (I used this in place of 1/4 cup chopped onion - yuck!)
1 Tbs. parsley
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon basil and/or oregano (I used a mixture of both - heavier on the basil)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. lean (90-10) ground sirloin
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
2 Tbs. packed brown sugar

Directions :
In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk; stir in bread crumbs, onion powder, parsley, salt, basil/oregano and pepper. Add ground meat; mix well. Lightly pat mixture into an 8X4X2-inch loaf pan.

Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour or until internal temp. registers 160 degrees. Spoon off any fat (there was none since I used 90%-10% ground sirloin). In a small bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard; spread over meat. Bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand for about 10 minutes before cutting into eight slices.
Serve with mashed taters and green beans. Yum!


No comments: